background

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Knit one, purl one...


Here's the progress I've made thus far.

The plan? Seed stitch afghan. Nine-inch squares, each bordered by crochet, and sewn together. It's a version of an afghan my mother made years ago, as best I can remember it. She was an expert knitter, and yet this simple afghan was one of my favorite things she made.

She believed that you should always have something to show for your time...and this one is an easy one to work on while watching tv, since you don't have to concentrate on a pattern...much. (I already have about half a row that I got off a stitch on. Oh well, I just knit on...I call it practicing imperfection...that doesn't come easy...I am my mother's daughter after all.)

When Mom started hers, it seemed a strange combination of colors...very un-mom like colors. What I liked about it was that not only did it turn out really attractive, it was a good cover. Though I think lacy afghans are beautiful, I hate the way the open work in the pattern seems to invite drafts to sneak through.

Mom's afghan was gifted away, but I never forgot it. So I thought it was time I try to recreate it. My plan is for this to be my lunch-time afghan. I'm going to leave my knitting bag in my car, so I can knit on my lunch hour. Be productive and de-stress at the same time. Hmmm...I think that's called multi-tasking.

4 comments:

  1. Looking good.Fpr some reason I just cant learn knitting.Im into crocheting.I bought a small skein the other day of fall type colors im anxious to get started.have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becky, I like crochet too, but it's been quite awhile since I've done any.

    Fall colors...can you believe how quickly fall is approaching?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I knew how to knit and crochet. Maybe I should learn this year! I do a little embroidery and rug hooking and I do believe that busy hands relieve an overworked mind! V.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooooh goodluck, the wool looks lovely!!!
    I wish I was a better knitter.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails