background

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012 Reading Challenge


So here's another of my year-long goals that I alluded too a couple of days ago.

Caroline wrote awhile back about a reading challenge for 2012 that she was joining.  It was such an awesome idea, that I had to jump in.

Here's the plan.  Shop your bookshelves for twelve books (plus two alternates) that have been languishing on your shelves for at least a year, waiting for you to get around to reading them.  That gives you an average of one per month to get read during 2012.  The alternates are in case there are some in your selection of twelve that you can't bring yourself to finish.

I'm not officially joining the 'real' challenge because...well...I didn't make the deadline.  But that doesn't mean I don't acknowledge that it is an awesome plan of action, and want to tag along...and this way I don't have to adhere to the rules about linking etc.  :)

So here are my selections:
  1. Firebird -  by Janice Graham
  2. Paula - by Isabel Allende
  3. Almost There - by Nuala O'Faolain
  4. Snow Mountain Passage - by James D Houston
  5. An Irish Country Doctor - by Patrick Taylor
  6. Mariana - by Susanna Kearsley
  7. The Poisonwood Bible - by Barbara Kingsolver
  8. Ladies With Options - by Cynthia Hartwick
  9. Sarah - by Marek Halter
10. Breakfast With Buddha - by Roland Merullo
11. Knit Together - by Debbie Macomber
12. The One Year Bible - by Divine inspiration
      ...this is a re-read for me, but it's been awhile.  It was already in the stack, and then when talking to one of my sisters she said she had started reading on January first the copy that I gave her awhile back.  I said, oh good, I'll be doing it with you.  If anyone finds the thought of reading the Bible cover to cover daunting, I highly recommend the One Year Bible.  It's broken up into readings for the year, and each day has some Old Testament, some New Testament, a Psalm, and a Proverb.

And the alternates:
1. Among Schoolchildren - by Tracy Kidder
2. An Echo In The Bone - by Diana Gabaldon

I'm setting this post up as a separate page on the blog.  I will be crossing out titles as I make progress, and I will write very short reviews.  My 'Reading List' page where I've been tracking/reviewing for the past couple of years was getting quite long.
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. GREAT!!! Now, will you please tell me how to make separate pages on your blog. That is one thing I have not figured out yet! Please????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you're joining in - it's a great idea, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're doing much better than me -I've only read two so far!

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails