background

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Playing with my food...

I've been experimenting.

If you like squash, keep reading.  If not, look away.

Since I've given up wheat (among other things), I kind of miss pasta.  So this invention I call Zucchini Fettuccine.

I started by slicing a zucchini and a yellow squash into thin lengthwise slices, and then cut those slices into thin strips.

I halved grape tomatoes.


And I sliced some sun-dried tomatoes into strips too.

I fried 2 slices of bacon till crisp.  (Forgot to take a pic.)  I set it aside, and then drained most of the grease from the pan.
  
I cut an onion into thin strips, and added it to the pan that I fried the bacon in.  I stirred it till it started to caramelize.


Then I added in the zucchini and yellow squash, the sun dried tomatoes, the crumbled bacon, and four sliced cloves of garlic.  (No pic of the garlic either...things were moving pretty quickly at this point.  I added a little salt and cracked pepper and a tiny bit of Italian seasonings.

I stirred it several times, to cook all the squash evenly, but very lightly.  I didn't want it too done...just nicely al dente.  Then for the last couple of minutes, I added the grape tomato halves to the pan and stirred one more time.

I plated it, and put just a tad of Parmesan cheese on top.

Yum!

I was home alone for this meal, so going almost meatless was fine with me.  I will definitely make it again.  I think when the guys are home, I'll serve some grilled chicken breasts alongside.

2 comments:

  1. I recently did something VERY similar, but I didn't have the sun-dried tomatoes (just used grape ones). I also used VERY thinly sliced (spaghetti style) cabbage. Made a very good and hearty meatless meal. Even my dear hubby loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will have to try this as we have lots of squash in Mark's garden.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails