background

Monday, September 23, 2013

Hidden treasure...


So, I'm still going through photos to scan for project.  I brought a couple of boxes with me to work.  I woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep, so I just came in an hour early to beat the traffic and started going through the boxes. So many have faded terribly.  So many are tossable.

Then I came across a letter tucked in the box. A handwritten letter...seven pages...both sides...from my great-Aunt Ruth to my mother.  She was a great letter writer, my Aunt Ruth.  This one is filled with news of the weather (coldest on records of 108 years) and of family (Edgar's kitchen needs a thorough cleaning...she and my mother were always cleaning his house on visits after his wife died), and sweet things like 'Ed looks at Kasey's pictures every day and grins from ear to ear'.

That's the beautiful thing about snail mail.  A letter from 1979 is even better today than the day it first arrived.  It's a bridge to loved ones long missed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails