background

Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Substitute for Cream of Anything Soup...



I've been cooking a long time....a L...O...N...G time.  And I think I do okay.  I have one friend who used to be a caterer, and she says I'm her only friend who is a good cook.  Of course, she is now vegetarian, so it's kind of hard to screw up salads when I feed her.  :)

A common ingredient you will frequently find in some of my family's favorite old-timey retro home-cooking casseroles are either Cream of Mushroom, Cream of Chicken, or Cream of Celery soups.  Those three used to be staples in my pantry, but I don't find myself buying them often anymore.  So tonight when I wanted to make an easy enchilada casserole, I had everything except the cream of mushroom soup.  (I know, I know.  Cream of Mushroom soup in an enchilada casserole sounds gross, but you will just have to trust me on this.)


Yoo-hoo...Google.  A search for "substitute for cream of mushroom soup"  landed me at Center Cut Cook.

And then I had this DUH moment.  Of course!  So simple.  Why did I never think of this on my own?  The simple recipe is made from ingredients that I ALWAYS have in my pantry and fridge.  It took way less time than a run to the store or even a neighbor's, no gasoline or money spent, and this recipe doesn't have any weird flavorings or stabilizers.

It's basically just a white sauce that can be adapted by differing the type of broth or seasonings that you choose to add.  I used beef broth tonight since I was making a beef casserole.  You could also saute a little mushroom for Cream of Mushroom, or celery for Cream of Celery.  (Who am I kidding, I would SO just use celery salt.)

.............................................................
Cream Soup Substitute from Center Cut Cook
2 tablespoons butter
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper

In a small sauce pan, melt butter over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and let cook for 1-2 minutes. Slowly stir in chicken broth, then milk. Whisk until it begins to thicken. Let it simmer for a few minutes. Season with salt and pepper.

.............................................................

And because I hate dirtying up an extra pan, I just mixed it all in the pan I was already using, then put the rest of my casserole recipe together.  It turned out great.  
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. Very funny, as I was reading the bit about celery, I was thinking, oh, I'd just use celery salt - then I got to the bit where you said the same!!! Great minds! Thank you so much for the beautiful birthday card - I loved it x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha...if I'm in a pinch, why would I take time to saute celery? LOL You are very welcome for the card.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never thought of doing that! I used cream of soups as a base for quite a few dishes. I use celery salt to flavour things too, John hates the texture of celery so I use celery salt instead.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails