background

Monday, October 13, 2014

Kitchen prep...

I've hinted a little, but I'll come right out and say it.  We are about to begin a kitchen remodel.  They've measured the kitchen, and we've chosen the cabinets.  We will hopefully put the order in later this week, after which there is about a five-week wait for them to be delivered.  After they are installed, we begin another wait time for the counter tops.  I haven't chosen those yet.  In the meantime, Carey will begin removing the current cabinets and appliances.   We could be without a kitchen for a LONG time.

I don't want to spend all that time eating out.  Luckily we have a sink in the laundry room.  So my plan is to put the microwave and the slow cooker in the laundry, and have that be my interim kitchen space.  There's not a lot of counter top in there, so cooking from scratch wouldn't be all that easy.

Like a good little prepper, I have begun preparing meals ahead.  Last week I cleaned out and defrosted the chest freezer.  (I've been trying to use up things from it for awhile, so everything left fit in the refrigerator's freezer section.)  I also planned exactly what I would be cooking to fill it back up and made a shopping list.  Friday I did a gigantic shopping trip.

I filled up all the pantry staples.  Do you cut the cooking instructions off the package and put them in the canister so they don't get lost?  My mother taught me that handy tip an eon ago.

So far I've made 3 batches of Beef and Vegetable Soup.  We will just have to open the bag, pour it in the slow cooker, and add a large container of V8.

I've also assembled and packaged:
3 batches of Jambalaya Casserole
2 batches of Jalapeno Lime Chicken (thanks for the suggestion on that one, LB).  
6 batches of cooked rice to accompany main dishes
5 pounds of cooked ground beef for later use

Tomorrow (and Thursday) I have to work, so I won't be back in the kitchen until Wednesday.  I've still got so much to do!
Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. Sure hope you like the Jalapeno-Lime chicken as much as we do. I've made tacos out of it (really good with that Mexican soft crumbling cheese on top), and also made a yummy green salad adding the chicken,some black beans and diced cheddar cheese. Mmmmmmmmmm...

    Best wishes on the kitchen redo...knowing you, it will be fabulous once it's finally done! (Bet your interim meals will be yummy too!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so impressed that you are organizing your food ahead. Good luck with the new kitchen, that's so exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow- Your preplanning and organizational skills are amazing! I about had a nervous breakdown when we remodeled our kitchen years ago. Sounds like you will survive it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks everybody!

    LB, the salad sounds really good!

    Polly and Betsy...after today's efforts I am officially out of space in the freezer! And I still have groceries to cook! Carey walked in the door after a week away, and was greeted with, "We need a new freezer." LOL

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails