background

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Wishing you a Merry Christmas...

The kids asked for my Chicken and Dumplings for Christmas Dinner.  Sounded fine with me.  It's something I can actually accomplish in my makeshift kitchen set up.  At least the prep work.  I'll finish it up tomorrow at Kasey's on her stove top.


 There will be ten of us (three of whom are teenage boys), so I thought I'd use three chickens.  I put two in the slow cooker before I went to bed last night.  When I got up this morning I took them out to cool and strained the stock.  Then I put in the last chicken to cook and make another batch of stock.  That should give us plenty to feed the crowd. 


 Boning chicken is not my favorite job, especially when there's a lot of it to do.  By the end my back and shoulders are cramping.  I've tried letting my husband and son help, but they aren't as particular about picking out every last bit of the skin and gristle. Drives me crazy, so I do it myself. 


 Doing it in two batches today wasn't so bad.  It let my back relax and recover between batches.  I'm always so happy to see the bones and skin (left) separated from the meat (right).  

Now the meat and stock are in the refrigerator waiting for tomorrow.  I'll assemble the dumpling's dry ingredients tonight.  Finishing up tomorrow should be a breeze.

I still have wrapping to do.  ...sigh...  Why do I always leave it till Christmas Eve?  I also have to finish assembling the 'packaging' of the boys' money gifts.

I hope that you are having a wonderful Christmas!
Photobucket

3 comments:

  1. I,m doing chicken and dressing on Sunday. Your kitchen is beautiful already.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas, Kath! Wishing you a bright and Happy New Year! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. For some reason (no doubt I'm in a Christmas in July frame of mind) I clicked on your "holiday preparations" label this morning and have to ask - what's in the pot with the chicken? What are the steps to making stock? I've been buying grilled chicken breasts from Trader Joe's to put in salads but it would be a lot less expensive to cook a chicken this way and then have the meat available to put in the salads instead.

    ReplyDelete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails