background

Friday, October 21, 2016

Frugal Friday file, week 42...


Successes:
1.  Turning off the wireless connection to my Kindle so that I can continue to read the library book on it that I haven't finished yet.  The library can still retrieve their copy from my Amazon account so I won't be depriving any other library patrons or incur any fine, but until the wireless is turned back on to my Kindle it will be readable to me.

2.  I responded to some correspondence from our health insurance company, so hopefully we will get some reimbursement for the money we have spent on chiropractic care recently.

3.  Last weekend I could take it no longer.  I called Kasey and said I was coming over, and someone was going to cut my hair, I didn't much care who.  Beau ended up doing it.  I started by clipping my hair up on top of my head and having him put a strip of tape across the back of my tee shirt at the length I wanted it cut so he would have a guide to cut by.  I let the bottom half of my hair out of the clip, and had him cut it at the top edge of the tape.  Then I put the rest of my hair down and had him cut it at the bottom edge of the tape (that way the top layer turns under a bit instead of looking completely blunt cut).  I've been mighty happy with it all week.  I would never try to get away with a home cut if I had a short style, but with it long, it's hard to mess up.  And in case of accident, there was still plenty of length to go to the stylist to fix it; but it didn't come to that.  :)

4.  Some weeks we just don't use a lot of bread.  I used the food processor to make almost an entire loaf into bread crumbs.  I spread them out on a large sheet pan and let them sit uncovered for a couple of days in my kitchen, tossing occasionally.  When they were completely dry, I moved them to an airtight container, and I'm storing them in the freezer till next month when I will use them for the Thanksgiving dressing.

5.  Made a big grocery shop, and have restocked the freezer with lots of fixings for cool-weather fare.  For adding meat to soups and stews I saved by buying inexpensive beef soup bones with lots of meat on them instead of buying more expensive stew meat and buying hamhocks with lots of meat on them instead of ham.  I bought individual onions that were 69¢ a lb instead of a 3 lb bag that was $3.20 (got my 3 lb for $2.07 rather than $3.20...sometimes the pre-priced bags are a bargain, but sometimes they're not...always do the math).   I bought a large family-size pack of ground beef, then came home and seasoned and browned all of it and vacuum sealed in individual-recipe sizes to make for easy meal starters.  I placed the rice and lentils into the freezer for a few days to kill any possible weevil or moth larvae, to preclude any waste or infestation.  Bought large baking potatoes, and will make a big batch of twice-baked potatoes to vacuum seal and freeze for easy side dishes.  And I made sure to shop before the digital coupon for a free pumpkin expired, so I have one for my fall decorating.

Keep Tryings:
Having to pay Carey's speeding ticket.  :(

Frugal From the Kitchen This Week:
Saturday:  meatloaf, twice-baked potatoes, broccoli
Sunday:  *lunch out and skipped supper
Monday:  *dinner out
Tuesday:  Baked chicken, roasted spaghetti squash, broccoli
Wednesday:  Ground beef patties, baked potatoes, 3-bean salad
Thursday:  leftovers
Friday:  roast chicken, seasoned rice, and green beans

(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)
Photobucket

1 comment:

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails