background

Friday, November 25, 2016

Frugal Friday File, week 47...


Successes:
1.  Kasey is on vacation this week and she gifted me a whole day of help around the house.  She mopped, dusted, hung a gallery wall of art, put up the Christmas tree (up, but not yet decorated).  It was way more frugal for me than a housekeeper, and spending a whole day of one-on-one time with my daughter is priceless!

2.  A year or so ago, before I decided to be more frugal, I contributed to an Indigogo campaign initiated by designers of a new ice machine, so they could get it built, perfected, and produced.  Contributions were for a set amount somewhat discounted from what the retail asking price would be set at once they were in production, and contributors would be receiving the new machines once production was up and running.  I received my Opal Nugget Ice Maker this week, and it works perfectly pumping out my favorite 'magic' ice just like Sonic's!  It was not cheap, but I am counting it as frugal because a) the money was spent last year with no assurance that they would actually be able to do all that was hoped, and b) I no longer need to make my trips to Sonic, so it should pay for itself shortly.

3.  I have been staying home every single day (except for yesterday's feast at Kasey's) due to not having a car at the moment.  Doing a few chores and watching library DVDs Kasey picked up for me.

4.  I have purchased one Christmas gift online this week, and I used one of my reward-points amazon gift cards to pay for it.

5.  I pay what seems like a lot for my cell phone service.  But I was thinking today that back in the 'olden days' when we were charged long-distance fees by the minute, my land-line (not even a known phrase back then) bill could run me double what I pay now just for the time I spent talking to my sister and mother.  So, yes, I could probably find a way to cut my cellular expenses, but just for today I'm going to look back a few decades and be grateful for the unlimited talk I enjoy now.

Keep Tryings:
Last week's 'Keep Tryings' included $300 of car repair that we had just had done on my car.  Yeah.  Wish we had held out on that for awhile.  The accident also completely ruined one of the almost brand new tires, which was another $300.  Carey is taking it today to start the process of estimating repair costs for the accident damage.  ugh.

Frugal From the Kitchen This Week:
Saturday:  Frito Pie
Sunday:  Sunday family dinner at Kasey's, coincidentally Frito Pie  :)
Monday:  roasted cauliflower 
Tuesday:  chicken curry
Wednesday:  *burgers
Thursday:  Thanksgiving feast
Friday:  leftovers

(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)
Photobucket

2 comments:

  1. One of those things...one tire now costs as much as a whole set a few years ago. I remember those long-distance charges too so some new ways are appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. New tires are a source of dread. I always expect an unpleasant surprise. The ones for car are bad enough, but the ones Carey puts on his truck really take a bite out of the budget.

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails