background

Friday, August 11, 2017

Frugal Friday File 2017, week 32...


Successes
1.  It had probably been a year since we had steak on the menu, so I put ribeyes on the shopping list.  They were pretty pricey, but large, and we cut them in half before serving.  Cooked on the grill to a perfect medium rare.  Fed three adults for much less than ordering the same at a restaurant...and enough left to make three extra-special meals for the freezer to go to work with Carey, as well a a nice-sized piece that I sliced thin to add to a fabulous salad to go to work with me.


2.  I bought 4 oz of ground cinnamon from the bulk bins for $1.38...the same amount of name brand in a shaker is almost 3 times as much...and it saved a plastic shaker from ending up in the landfill.

3.  A 24 oz package of my favorite brand of thick-sliced bacon is regularly $8.98.  It was on sale for $5.99 this week.  Four extra packages came home to my freezer.  Shouldn't need to bring home the bacon again till next year.  ;)

4.  But Carey didn't get that memo, because he got a surprise raise today...effectively bringing home even more bacon.  😊

5.  I booked a few hours of work on Monday morning.  This is at a local branch, so I was happy to say yes when asked.  I turn down less than full days at branches that I have to commute to, because it just doesn't seem worth a few hours' pay when it has to cover gas for the trip over and back.

Frugal From the Kitchen This Week:
Saturday:  ribeyes, hot potato salad, corn
Sunday:  Sunday family dinner at Kasey's
Monday:  fried rice and egg rolls
Tuesday:  roast, potatoes, carrots
Wednesday:  *Schlotzky sandwiches
Thursday:  grazed the fridge
Friday:  Asian Sesame Meatballs with rice

(*not-frugal takeout or dinner out)

2 comments:

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails