background

Wednesday, March 7, 2018

What I'm reading Wednesday...

Year One by Nora Roberts
I was on the library reserve list for this one for ages.  I took it to bed with me about midnight Sunday night/Monday morning, thinking I'd read myself to sleep.  I had to be up and at quilting at the library by 10:00 a.m.  I never got to sleep.  About 9:20 a friend from the group texted me to make sure I was going to be at the group.  I texted back that I had ten more pages, and then I'd be there.  :)

Before I started reading, I had it confused with another book about prehistory, but it was actually about a virus that wiped out eighty percent of the world population.  

Even though I couldn't put it down, I'm not sure how I feel about it.  

Enemy Women by Paulette Jiles
I'm working my way through this author's titles.  I've been on the reserve list for this library ebook, and my turn just came up, so I've only just started it.  

It is set during the Civil War in Missouri (a particularly divided state during this period which  experienced an extremely dangerous neighbor-against-neighbor atmosphere).  The main character is an 18-year-old girl whose family has been struggling to remain neutral.  She is arrested as an 'enemy woman' and sent to a women's prison filled with the criminal and the deranged.

2 comments:

  1. I actually made it to the library this week! Picked up a few books, ordered a few more. I've been putting titles into my GoodReads app when I'm at the bookstore so I can look for them at the library.

    Thank you for the lovely card!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You’re welcome!

      I love libraries in general, and the one in our present community is the best I’ve ever had access to. I don’t know how it could get any better, but they are about to start a big building project, so I imagine it will have great things ahead. I love getting books I want and not having to dust them later. I love your Goodreads App idea!

      Delete

I have had a lot of really gross spam comments left lately, so I am having to turn comment moderation back on. To my nice blog friends, my apologies if this makes it more difficult for you to comment. To the mean naughty-talk spammers, just go away!

Related Posts with Thumbnails